"If your dog doesn't like someone you probably shouldn't either."
-Unknown

"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace."
- Milan Kundera


"They [dogs] never talk about themselves but listen to you while you talk about yourself, and keep up an appearance of being interested in the conversation."
- Jerome K. Jerome




Friday, January 13, 2012

A short history of my love of dogs

I have had dogs my entire life. When I was born, my mom had a dachshund named Blitz that she she had for about 11 years before I was born. Needless to say, when I was born, and he was no longer the baby, he was pissed! He was constantly growling at me, and when my mom would try to feed me, he was always trying to jump on her lap and interrupt. It got so bad that my mom had to give him to my wonderful grandparents (that had to dachshunds of their own) until I was a little over a year old. Even though he had calmed down, until the time he passed when I was six, we all knew he hated me deep down. After than, my mom and I always had dogs, at least one at all times. My aunt had dogs and my grandparents. Since we all lived within a mile of each other, when we went somewhere, our dogs went with us. Its easy to see why I am a dog lover.

When I moved out when I was 19, my mom and I had a very lengthy fight about "my dog" Abbey. I wanted to take her with my, and mom would not allow it!  It was the first puppy I had ever had (we always adopted adult dogs) and we got her when I was 15. She slept in bed with me and was my shadow. My mom won. When I moved out, she laid in my empty room and my mom had to force water down her throat. She was depressed. To this day when I go to my moms, Abbey is always the most excited to see me.I would love to show a picture of Abbey, but she is camera shy and almost impossible to get a picture of!

The house I moved into had two dogs, Max and Coco Bean. Max was a Boxer/Lab mix and Coco Bean was a Rott/Lab mix. They were "protection dogs" because of the area we lived in. By the second night, both dogs slept in my bed from then on out. They were two of the biggest, sweetest goofs. When I moved out three years later, i left them with the roommates, as they were the "house dogs" and I was moving into a 1 bedroom- not really enough room for a combined 160 pounds of dogs that were used to a big yard.

Fast forward five months and I was going insane. FIVE MONTHS without a dog in my house?!?!? Enter: Princess Sierra Butt!



A few years later we added Dita Butt.




I think of my life without a dog, and I simply cannot imagine it. They bring me so much joy and love. When I am sad, they know and comfort me. When I am sick, they know to stay close but not get on top of me to make me uncomfortable. Even their faces when giving them treats, gives me happiness.

I know my dogs love us, and we love them.


I am proud to say, with all my heart, that I am a dog person!

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know that about your dog Abbey! What a loyal girl. So sweet yet sad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We agree, life without dogs, would be no fun at all.

    ReplyDelete